Thursday, June 17, 2010

Irrational Fears

Irrational fears. Yes, we all have them so don't even pretend you don't. For example, I refuse to step on grates or sewer covers on the street because I am afraid of falling in. Or the messed up dreams I have that illustrate my fear of losing my best friends. I can't sleep without holding something (Sorry to my friends if that has been your body...) and if my legs get too hairy it freaks me out. I can't be in my house alone when it's dark at night because I start seeing things and hearing voices. The list could go on, but it just makes me sound nuts.

How do we conquer these fears? Simple, we don't. We learn to live with what we can't control. I will forever be stepping around sewer grates. I may always wake up at 2 in the morning with a sad looking squished stuffed animal and a call to a friend to calm me down. I will constantly shave my legs, even in the winter when nobody cares. I will avoid the dark abyss of loneliness like the plague. What I won't do however, is let it control my life.

I may go out of my way for some things, but I will not cower in fright at an unshaven leg. I will live, learn, and deal, and I'll do it all with the best people by my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment